Sunday, September 23, 2012

Citrus Teriyaki Chicken

To make this Citrus Teriyaki Chicken you will need:

2-4 chicken breasts
  • Marinade:
    • 3/4c teriyaki sauce/marinade
    • 1T soy sauce (more or less depending on how salty you want it)
    • 1T minced onions
    • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • Glaze:
    • 3T olive oil
    • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
    • 1T orange rind
    • 1/2T lemon rind (I didn't have a grater for the rinds. So, I just sliced a few twists off of the rind)
    • juice of an orange
    • juice of half a lemon
    • 1T rice wine vinegar
    • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
    • 1T honey
    • 1+1/2T corn starch combined with just enough water to mix and get a liquid. (this is for thickening the glaze at the end)


Start by combining all the marinade ingredients in a large zipper bag with the chicken and allow it to sit. I let mine sit for a few hours, but you can do more or less depending on how much flavor you want it to have. Mine actually had a little too much teriyaki flavor and not enough orange flavor. I have compensated a little bit in the recipe presented here; but you could probably sacrifice some of the marinating time and it would be just as good if not better.

Once the chicken has marinated for a while, you can start to prepare the glaze. In a large sauce pan, combine the olive oil, garlic, orange and lemon rinds, red pepper flakes. Let that heat up until it starts to bubble and give off some aroma. Then, pull the chicken out of the marinade, save the marinade though, and place chicken in the pot. Sear the outside of the chicken. Then, add the remaining glaze ingredients (except the corn starch) and pour some or all of the marinade in the pot as well. (I added all of it but as I said I would reduce the teriyaki flavor next time.) Stir, cover, and let simmer (stirring occasionally) for a couple hours until chicken is tender (for faster prep, cook chicken longer before adding glaze ingredients then just cook chicken until it is done all the way through). Right before serving combine the corn starch-water mix and bring sauce to boil just a couple minutes, until thickened. Serve and eat!

I served it with garlic herb couscous, mango slices, and french style green beans. It was very tasty (despite the imbalanced teriyaki/orange ratio).
Next time, I will do a few things differently: First, I will sear the chicken on the grill instead of in the pot, to give it just a little different flavor. I will also add more orange juice OR I will add some frozen orange juice concentrate so the sauce doesn't get too watery. And perhaps I will add some more red pepper flakes and honey, but we'll see about that. I believe this recipe will also work well in a crock pot.
Give it a shot!

~Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment