Sunday, September 2, 2012

Raspberry Glazed Salmon

Well, I happened to have a ton of raspberry jam on hand and decided to give it a whirl on some salmon. The recipe is very much still a work in progress; this was only the 2nd time I made it. It was better the first time but I don't remember what I did differently! :( Oh well! It was still very good and there's always next time! (I will update this if I figure it out)

For the salmon you will need:

  • 1lb. salmon
  • 2t minced garlic
  • 1T dried onion (although I am sure fresh is just as good if not better)
  • 1T olive oil
  • 2T coconut oil
  • juice of 1/4 a lime or lemon
  • 1T white wine (or hard apple cider, as I had handy this evening ;) 
  • salt to taste
  • sriracha sauce (last time I used cayenne pepper but I think the sriracha has a better flavor, both work though)

For the raspberry glaze:
  • 1/4c raspberry jam
  • 1T white vinegar
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

I served with:
  • strawberry, peach, mango salsa (just cut up fruit with a splash of lemon on it)
  • Parmesan couscous (from a box)
  • steamed artichoke (Mmmm! One of my favorites!)

To cook the salmon I have used the grill and the oven, I prefer the grill, I think. However, this time I used the oven. I put the olive oil on the bottom of a glass baking dish, which was just big enough to fit the fish. Then, put the salmon in and drizzled the coconut oil over top of it. I spread the onion, garlic, and sriracha sauce evenly over it and let it sit. I waited an hour or so, but you don't have to. Then, about 15 min before I put the salmon in the oven, I added the lemon/lime juice and white wine to the pan.
Meanwhile, I put all the ingredients for the raspberry glaze in a small sauce pan, put it on the stove (on medium-low heat) and stirred to remove all the lumps-- I kept this lightly bubbling, stirring often, until the fish was done.
I put the salmon in a 400 degree oven for about 15 min, until the salmon was almost done. I poured a little of the raspberry glaze, just enough to cover the top, over the fish and switch the oven to broil for a minute or two. Careful not to burn it; just caramelize the sauce a little bit.

Once the fish was out of the oven and on a plate, I drizzled a little more raspberry glaze over it, put some strawberry, peach, mango salsa on top and chowed down!
This fish is great with couscous, but I am sure it would be good with some pasta or coconut rice too! 

I think the dish is still missing something, but I'm not sure what it is. If you figure it out please tell me! 

Hope you enjoy!

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment