Sunday, March 8, 2015

Herb Roasted Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, and Potatoes

So, my produce box this week contained Brussels Sprouts.... I had tried them before and was not really a fan. But, that was years ago and I am re-trying things so... I kept them (as opposed to trading them in or giving them away). I am happy to report, I am glad I did!
I also had 3 GIANT carrots in my box and had no clue what to do with them. Into the dish they go! But, I felt it needed something else too.... Well, this weeks box also had a bunch of creamer potatoes (hmm... what's a "creamer" potato?).
I think it came out great! This dish was yummy and was quite colorful (if only I had some of the purple potatoes from a couple weeks ago left).


Preheat the oven to 425. And get to chopping...

You will need:
Brussels Sprouts
Carrot(s)
Creamer Potatoes
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Rosemary
Green Onion
4 cloves of Garlic
2 T Fire Roasted Pepper Oil (recipe coming soon*)
       You can use olive oil instead (If you do, maybe add some peppers to the dish)
A few shakes of Parmesan
Salt/pepper to taste

You'll notice I didn't really put in amounts for most of the ingredients... Well, I didn't measure them and the amounts are very flexible. If you love carrots, use more carrots. If you aren't so sure about the brussels sprouts, use a little less of those. I just used all the brussels sprouts from my box and one giant carrot and enough potatoes to have relatively even amounts of the three. Chop them all into bite-size pieces. I cut the garlic cloves into quarters (they were large) but you could mince them if you wanted. I have the green onions from the produce box 2 weeks ago growing in a jar in my kitchen. I can hardly use them in enough dishes to keep them trimmed! They just keep on growing! I chopped up the green tops of several of those. I got 2 whole sprigs of rosemary (but you probably want to pull these out before serving) and pulled the leaves off several sprigs of thyme.

I put all that, as well as the remaining ingredients, into a plastic bag and shook it to mix it and coat everything evenly with oil and seasoning. I poured it into a glass baking dish and put it in the oven for 20 min, took it out and stirred it and put it back in for another 20 min, until the carrots and potatoes were done. I served it with some slow-grilled chicken and it was delicious. I thought I made enough to have leftovers but we ATE IT ALL!


 I will definitely make it again. I might even remove brussels sprouts from the list of foods I "don't like"... Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

~Sarah

1 comment: