Sunday, March 22, 2015

TACOS!

So, this weekend we spent most of the time working in the yard. We we did get to go to ECHO's annual Food and Farm Festival, which was awesome! While we were there we picked up some more plants for our backyard food forest in progress. If you have not been to ECHO, I highly recommend it! When we got back from that, we picked up this weeks produce box and headed home. I started cooking dinner and while it simmered we planted. What I made for dinner was inspired by the Cubanelle Peppers in this weeks box: TACOS!!


You will need:

1lb Ground Beef
1 Cubanelle Pepper
1 Baby Bell Pepper
2 Tomatoes
1 small Onion
4-5 cloves of Garlic
Fresh Oregano
Fresh Savory
1-2T Chili Powder
1-2T Sirracha
1 7oz can of Tomato sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste



I started by removing the seeds from the peppers (setting them aside for potential planting) and putting the peppers in the food processor with the tomatoes, garlic, and onion. I had a huge onion left from my produce box the other week. So, I used half of that instead of a whole normal sized onion. I chopped up the fresh herbs. I had never used Savory before; it is one if the things we got at ECHO. I really liked it!

I browned the meat. Once the meat was about half way cooked, I poured in the salsa-y mix from the food processor along with the remaining ingredients. You can of course alter your amounts of everything, particularly the Chili Powder and Sirracha to your prefered level of spice.

I let that cook down for about 2 hours and soak up all the flavor. You could just cook until the meat is cooked through, but I would not add the can of tomato sauce. That way it isn't too runny, since the liquid won't have time to evaporate off.

I served it topped with chopped Grape Tomatoes, Romaine Lettuce (both from the produce box), black olives, shredded cheese, and sour cream. I wanted to have avocado on it too but they were not ripe enough. It came out super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment