Monday, March 30, 2015

Quick Refrigerator Pickles!

So, I LOVE pickles! I especially love it when they're super crisp and delicious.
Every time I get my hands on cucumbers, I turn at least some of them into pickles. I am told these are more marinated cucumbers. But, I'm not sure when they cross from marinated cucumber territory into pickle territory... they taste like pickles to me!

This recipe is for 2 Quart jars- So, half of each amount goes in each jar.
Ingredients:
2-3 large cucumbers
1/2 a bell pepper
1T whole black pepper
3T salt
3T white vinegar
8 pearl onions
6 cloves of garlic
a bunch of dill... differs based on fresh/dried
water

I simply chop the cucumbers and bell peppers, I take the papery outside off the onions and garlic, but I leave them whole. I split all the ingredients between the 2 jars and fill the rest of the way with water, leaving only a little space at the top (as seen in the picture). Then, shake them and put them in the fridge for 24 hours (shaking every 8 hours or so). DONE!

When I have enough fresh dill, I cram as much in there as seems reasonable. This time I only had a little fresh dill (my plants haven't recovered from the last batch of pickles). So, I supplemented with dried dill. When I have dried, store bought, dill I find the strength of their flavor varies greatly. (That being said, I usually use *about* 2T dried dill in each of the 2 jars and adjust accordingly.) You can use any amount of pretty much any ingredient EXCEPT the salt and vinegar. You can, of course, tweak those a bit too... but I can tell you from experience, it's easier to add more than remove it if it's too strong... Note: I have never had pickles that were "too dilly" I just don't know if that's possible. I have however, had pickles that are too oniony... please, learn from my mistakes. lol

As you can tell, the recipe is not exact. But, remember you can always add more after your first taste!

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment